You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Comfort Food’ category.
Amish Style Macaroni Salad
I absolutely LOVE Amish Macaroni Salad. I usually purchase it at the grocery store. But recently have decided to try to make it on my own. I went searching through recipes. However, most of the recipes had at least 2 cups of Mayo. So I adjusted and took away ingredients that my family doesn’t necessarily like. This is what I came up with. Even my husband likes it and he really doesn’t care for Macaroni salad at ALL!
2 cups Uncooked elbow macaroni (or use whatever type of noodle you prefer)
3 to 4 hard-boiled eggs-Chopped
2 Tablespoons Sweet Pickle Relish
1 Small Onion-Chopped
1 Small Red Bell Pepper-Chopped
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 cup salad dressing ( I use Miracle Whip)
1. Cook Macaroni according to package directions or until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. In a Large bowl combine eggs, onion, red bell pepper and relish.
3. In a small bowl combine salad dressing, mustard, white sugar and vinegar.
4. Pour salad dressing mixture over veggies and add pasta. Stir until evenly combine and coated. Cover and chill for 1 hour before serving.
Note: I have made this using just one large bowl and combine all ingredients until well coated. It turned out just the same. 🙂
An easy recipe! Low and slow cooking. Great recipe for leftovers or freezer cooking.
1- 3 to 6 pound Pork Loin, boneless
Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
Liquid Smoke ( Our favorite flavor is Natural Mesquite)
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Generously salt the fronts and back of the pork loin.
3. Pour on desired amount of liquid smoke on both sides. Using hands to “rub” it into the loin. ( I use between 1/4 of a bottle to half a bottle of liquid smoke.)
4. Wrap in foil. Making sure you seal it completely. Placed wrapped loin in roasting pan.
5. Cook in a 250 degree oven for 8 to 10 hours. I do this at night so it is ready to shred first thing in the morning. This is great for freezer meals!
Notes: Although, I prefer an oven for this recipe you can make it in a slow cooker. This is great recipe for bbq sandwiches!
It has become a Saturday morning tradition to have Biscuit donuts for breakfast. The kids LOVE them! The making of them goes quite fast when you have little helpers shaking the bags or adding the sprinkles.
Canned Biscuits (Do not get flaky biscuits, I use homestyle buttermilk biscuits 8 count and I use two cans)
Melted butter (about a stick or less)
Canola oil (you can use vegetable oil)
Toppings for your donuts : Cinnamon Sugar mixture, powered sugar, or a glaze and sprinkles!
1. Place enough oil in a skillet enough to fill it about 1/2 inch.
2. Heat the oil on medium/low heat.
3. While the oil is heating punch holes in the center of the biscuits. This can be done several way. I have a Donut hole cutter. You can also use a clean soda bottle lid. Or do like my Grandma Coats taught me and just stretch a whole in the center. If you do that you will not have any donut holes.
4. When oil is ready place a few donuts at a time in the pan. Browning on each side until golden brown. Using tongs place on paper towels. Repeat until all donuts and donut holes are done.
5. Next dip each donut on each side into melted butter. I then placed my donuts in a baggies with the cinnamon sugar mixture and shake until coated. I also did this with the donut holes. If you want to make different donuts. You can toss some in powered sugar. Or make a glaze and add sprinkles.
Cheesy Chicken Nachos
My 13-year-old daughter has been requesting nachos for sometime. She was thrilled to be having nachos for dinner as was everyone else.
2 cloves of garlic, minced
6 green onions, sliced
3 Tablespoons Canola Oil
Shredded chicken breast
2 tablespoons or 1 packet of taco seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste ( I did not use salt)
1 cup Salsa
1 bag of tortilla chips
2 cups shredded Cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese blend
1/2 large tomato, diced
small can of sliced black olives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line the cookie sheet as evenly as you can with the tortilla chips.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the garlic and the white parts of the green onions in canola, until the onions are tender. Mix in the shredded chicken.
- NOTE: I used my crock pot for my chicken I placed 2 chicken breast in the crock pot and covered with 2 tablespoons of taco season and set on low and let cook for 5 to 6 hours on low. It shredded easily. You can use any kind of shredded chicken that you would like. I think a shredded Rotisserie chicken would be good too.
Toss the chicken with the green onions and stir in Salsa.
- Put the tortilla chips in the oven for 5 minutes just to ‘warm’.
- When done warming spoon chicken mixture as evenly as you can over the tortilla chips. Top with shredded cheese, diced tomato, and olives.
- Return to the oven to bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Remove from heat and sprinkle with green onion tops before serving.
You can make this with just about anything…and top with just about anything. I also think it would be good with refried beans.
Fresh Strawberry Syrup Sauce
So simple to make! Awesome over French Toast, Waffles, Pancakes, and Ice Cream!
3 cups Strawberries, Mashed
1 cup Sugar
1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1. Prep Strawberry by removing leaves and slicing in half. You will need about 6 cups UNMASHED strawberries. Once mashed it should reduce to around 3 cups.
2. Over medium heat in a 3 quart saucepan add strawberries and 1 cup sugar. You can add this by taste and not use the whole cup of sugar. It just depend on how sweet your strawberries are. Bring to a simmer.
3. Fill a measuring cup to 1/4 of a cup and add 2 tablespoon of water. Stir until combine.
4. Add in the cornstarch and water into simmering strawberry mixture.
5. Bring to a simmer once again. It will start becoming thick.
6. If your desired thickness is not reached you can add another 2 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
7. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes for it to thicken up.
You will need to stir this constantly.
Pour into mason jars and refrigerate until ready to use.
Chicken Parmesan Hoagie Sandwich
There are a few things that I like about this recipe. It is simple to make. It is baked. It is chicken. And it is fast to make! Oh, it is also really tasty too!
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds of chicken)
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup Italian Seasoned bread crumbs
1 jar Spaghetti Sauce (Use your favorite, we like Tomato, Garlic and Onion)
1 cup Mozzarella cheese (I used more….We really like our cheese)
4 long Italian Rolls (I used Cobblestone Mill Hoagies, Philly Style)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. You do not want your chicken to be too thick. I cut my chicken breast in half and then pounded it out just a touch with my kitchen mallet.
3. Coat Chicken in egg and then bread crumbs. Then place into baking dish.
4. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes Pour Spaghetti sauce over top of chicken and top with cheese.
6. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
Serve on Hoagie rolls!
Chili-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
So easy to make! My house smelled wonderful while I was making these!
1 lb. ground beef
4 large Poblano Peppers
1 (15 ounce) can chili-seasoned beans
1 (14.5 ounce) can chili-style chunky tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon Adobo Mexican seasoning
1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese blend
1. Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Half peppers lengthwise. Remove Stems and seeds.
3. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. When water is boiling add 4 pepper halves to the water. Cook 3 minutes or until bright green or slightly softened. Remove and drain upside down. Repeat with the remaining halves.
4. Add beans, tomatoes and Mexican Adobo seasoning to beef. Cook over medium heat for approx. 5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
5. Line a baking sheet with foil. And preheat broiler.
6. Arrange peppers on baking sheet cut side up. Stuff peppers with chili mixture. Top with Cheese. Broil 6 inches from heat for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Serve with corn bread, sour cream and Salsa.
Chocolate Banoffee Mini-Pies
So easy to make and very sweet!
For the crust:
1 cup crushed Oreo Cookies (with middles removed)
4 tablespoons butter, melted
For The Creamy filling:
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1-14 oz can sweetened condensed Milk
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
Banana’s, cut into slices
Caramel for drizzling
1. In a food processor crush up Oreo’s. If you don’t have a food processor you can put the cookies in a ziplock bag and pound it with a mallet or rolling-pin. Combine 4 tablespoons of melted butter and mix together.
2. Fill silicone or a cupcake pan lined with cupcake liners with a crust for the pies. Packing it on the sides as well. Set in fridge and let firm up.
2. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a pan on low heat. Add brown sugar and stir until smooth.
3. Mix in the Sweetened Condensed Milk. And continue stirring on low for approx. 5 minutes.
4. Melt chocolate chips in microwave. Checking on it every 15 to 20 seconds.
5. Mix melted chocolate into the sweetened condensed mixture.
6. Pour into cupcake liners/silicone liners. And return to fridge for a least 2 hours. I like to let mine set overnight.
7. Top with Sliced Bananas, whipping cream, Caramel, Cherries, you could lightly sprinkle coco powder of the tops.
Candied Sweet Potato Cupcakes
Who says you can’t have sweet potatoes any time of the year! I love having sweet potato anything-any time of the year!
1 can (15 oz.) yams/sweet potatoes, drained
1 1/3 cups packed Brown Sugar
1 large Egg
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Butter, melted
1-1/4 cups AP (All Purpose) flour
1-1/4 teaspoons Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 heaping teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 cup Milk
For the “Candied Frosting”:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
2 Cups Marshmallow Fluff
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 cups Powdered sugar
2 teaspoons Milk (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with liners. Set aside.
2. In a small/medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg . Set aside.
3. Drain Yams and beat with mixture until it is the consistency of mashed potatoes…
4. Beat in Brown Sugar and egg until smooth. Add in Vanilla and melted Butter.
5. Add in flour mixture until just combine.
6. Once flour is combine add in milk.
7. Fill cupcake liners with batter. I use a quarter of a cup to measure in my batter.
8. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees. The cupcakes will be brown, and spongy in the center when done.
9. Let cupcakes cool completely before icing.
Directions for the “Candied frosting”:
1. Beat Softened butter until smooth.
2. Beat in 2 cups of the Marshmallow fluff.
3. Next add Vanilla and then add a cup at a time of powered sugar.
4. You can adjust the consistency if you want it thicker add more powered sugar. Want it thinner add a teaspoon or so of milk. I do not use milk at all.
This recipe is linked to:
Rue McClanahan’s Orange Poppy-Seed Cake
Also known as Blanche Devereaux from the hit Television series “The Golden Girls” and a Oklahoma Native! I am a fan of her memorial page on Facebook. And they graciously posted this recipe for all of Rue’s fans. I think that it is fabulous that even a busy actress like Rue even had time to bake. And it wasn’t beneath her to use a boxed cake mix either! I LOVE THAT!
1 box Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix
1 small package instant vanilla Pudding
1 cup orange Juice
1/2 cup oil
2 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
2 Tablespoons grated Orange Rind
For the Orange Glaze:
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Milk
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a bundt pan and set aside.
2. Combine all cake ingredients in a large bowl and pour into greased bundt pan.
3. Bake at 325 degrees for approx. 50 minutes.
Directions for the Glaze:
Melt Butter, brown sugar and milk together in a sauce pan. Add Powdered sugar. Amounts of powdered sugar can vary depending on the consistency that you want to achieve.
Here is a pictures of the recipe card posted on the Memorial Fan page!