Ronald Reagan was one of my All Time Favorite Presidents. Next to Lincoln and Adams. When I found this recipe I just knew I had to give it a try.
This recipe can be found in The White House Cookbook by Henry Haller. Which is on my to purchase list of cookbooks.
President Ronald Reagan’s
Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
- ½ pound macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- A pinch of Paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish. Add macaroni to 2 quarts of boiling salted water and cook for 10 minutes. Drain well in a colander. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in butter and beaten egg. Add 2-1/2 cups of the grated cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine milk with salt, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Spoon macaroni and cheese into the prepared casserole. Pour milk mixture over and sprinkle top with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake on middle shelf of preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until macaroni is firm to the touch and the top is crusty and browned. Serve either as a light entree accompanied by a veggie and a salad, or as a side dish with Hamburgers or Meat Loaf.