When you have so many Apples you don’t know what to do with them!
- 4-6 lbs. of peeled, cored and quartered apples. Hint: Use a good cooking apple like Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, or McIntosh.
- 4 strips of lemon peel (optional)
- Juice of one lemon, about 3-4 Tbsp
- 3 inches of cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients into a large pot. Cover. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until apples are very soft. (They will change color and almost look transparent.)
- Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon stick and lemon peels (if used). Mash with potato masher until the desired consistency. The more you mash the smoother it will be.
Ready to serve, either hot or refrigerated. This is delicious with vanilla ice cream. Freezes easily and last up to one year in a cold freezer.
- Prep time is approx. 45 minutes.
- Sugar’s used are guidelines. Depending on your taste and the sweetness of the apples you can adjust the sugar accordingly.
- If you use less sugar, more than likely you will want to use less lemon juice as well.
- Add ground cinnamon after mashing if desired. (my kids love it like this.)
There you go! When you have more apples than you know what to do with!