You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Chicken’ category.
Freezer Cooking Chicken Fajita’s
I am trying to incorporate more freezer cooking into my meal planning. At least 2 weeks worth of freezer meals for the month. Chicken Fajita’s seemed to be the perfect freezer meal to start.
1 -1/2 Green Peppers, Sliced
1/2 Red Pepper, Sliced
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 1/2 to 2 pounds Boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
1. Slice peppers and onion and place into a large bowl.
2. Next pound the chicken breast with a mallet. I like to do this because I feel like it makes the chicken tender and gives me more strips.
3. Cut the chicken into strips and place in the same bowl with the peppers and onions. Add a tablespoon of lime/lemon juice and the seasoning and toss.
4. Make sure your freezer bag is labeled with contents and directions on how to cook.
5. Place in bag. Put in Freezer.
6. When ready to eat: Thaw. Place in a large skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil. And stir fry until chicken is cook through and veggies are softened. Serve with warm flour tortillas.
Cheesy Chicken Nachos
My 13-year-old daughter has been requesting nachos for sometime. She was thrilled to be having nachos for dinner as was everyone else.
2 cloves of garlic, minced
6 green onions, sliced
3 Tablespoons Canola Oil
Shredded chicken breast
2 tablespoons or 1 packet of taco seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste ( I did not use salt)
1 cup Salsa
1 bag of tortilla chips
2 cups shredded Cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese blend
1/2 large tomato, diced
small can of sliced black olives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line the cookie sheet as evenly as you can with the tortilla chips.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the garlic and the white parts of the green onions in canola, until the onions are tender. Mix in the shredded chicken.
- NOTE: I used my crock pot for my chicken I placed 2 chicken breast in the crock pot and covered with 2 tablespoons of taco season and set on low and let cook for 5 to 6 hours on low. It shredded easily. You can use any kind of shredded chicken that you would like. I think a shredded Rotisserie chicken would be good too.
Toss the chicken with the green onions and stir in Salsa.
- Put the tortilla chips in the oven for 5 minutes just to ‘warm’.
- When done warming spoon chicken mixture as evenly as you can over the tortilla chips. Top with shredded cheese, diced tomato, and olives.
- Return to the oven to bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Remove from heat and sprinkle with green onion tops before serving.
You can make this with just about anything…and top with just about anything. I also think it would be good with refried beans.
Chicken Parmesan Hoagie Sandwich
There are a few things that I like about this recipe. It is simple to make. It is baked. It is chicken. And it is fast to make! Oh, it is also really tasty too!
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds of chicken)
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup Italian Seasoned bread crumbs
1 jar Spaghetti Sauce (Use your favorite, we like Tomato, Garlic and Onion)
1 cup Mozzarella cheese (I used more….We really like our cheese)
4 long Italian Rolls (I used Cobblestone Mill Hoagies, Philly Style)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. You do not want your chicken to be too thick. I cut my chicken breast in half and then pounded it out just a touch with my kitchen mallet.
3. Coat Chicken in egg and then bread crumbs. Then place into baking dish.
4. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes Pour Spaghetti sauce over top of chicken and top with cheese.
6. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
Serve on Hoagie rolls!
Shredded Barbecue Chicken
This can be eaten multiple ways. Use it as a nacho topping, just by its self, on a bun, on rice, or on a baked potato!
2 pounds shredded chicken**
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (18 ounce) bottle Barbecue Sauce (I use Stubb’s Sweet Smokey Mesquite)
4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/4 cup (or less) water *(optional)
1 cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1. Cook and Shred Chicken.
Note:** You can use leftover chicken and shred or cube it up. I like to get out my crock pot and putting in fresh or frozen chicken cooking on low for 6 to 7 hours or high 4 to 5 hours.
2. In Large skillet (make sure it is large) Saute onion and bell pepper until soft. Add Garlic and continue sauteing for a couple of minutes. Being careful not to burn the garlic or over saute the onion and bell pepper.
3. Add shredded chicken to the sauteing onion, bell pepper and minced garlic. Stir until combine.
4. Add BBQ Sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, water (if desired) and simmer until heated through.
Note: You do NOT have to use water. I put less than a quarter of a cup in the bottle that had the bbq sauce and swish it around to get all the sauce and pour it into the chicken mixture.
5. Serve over potatoes, chips, nacho’s….etc. Top with Monterey Jack Cheese. Garnish with Sour Cream and Green Onions!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
1/2 tsp. Poultry seasoning
Southwest Grilled Chicken
4 (3 ounces each)Boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp chili powder
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1. Mix the spices in a bowl together with the oil.
2. Pound out the chicken, flat. To where it is thin and to your desired thickness.
3. In a ziplock-type bag, place chicken breasts and spice mixture.
4. Shake so that each breast is coated. Let it set for at least 10 minutes. I like to let mine sit longer….over night it. But if in a rush 10 minutes will do it.
5. Grill the chicken approximately 10 minutes on one side, flip and another 5 on the other.
I always have this chicken made and stored in my fridge. I make wraps out of it, use it on salada, on rice, make chicken sandwiches or just by itself….This is my go to recipe that I never tire of.
Note: I make this year round and through it on my George Foreman Grill.
Mom’s Running On Empty Chicken
- 1 whole Chicken
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) BBQ Sauce (I use Cattleman’s Mississippi Honey BBQ Sauce)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 3 shakes Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- squirt of Lemon Juice
- Sprinkling of Paprika
- Wash and pat dry chicken and place the chicken legs up in slow cooker.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a small to medium bowl.
- Poor sauce over and inside chicken. Cook for 8 to 10 hours on low or 4 to 6 on high.
- When it is about an hour and half a way from being done I spinkle paprika over the top.
- The meat falls easily off the bone. Poor the sauce over rice or mashed potatoes.