You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Appetizers’ category.
Black Bean Salsa
Make this salsa a day ahead! Crowd pleasing!
1 Can black beans (drained and well rinsed)
2 Cups of frozen corn, thawed
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons Lime Juice (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder (you can add less or more to suit your taste)
2 medium Tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Make this at LEAST 3 hours ahead of when you need it. I prefer making it the day or evening before.
Add all ingredients in a large bowl and toss together. Chill for a least 2 hours or make the day/evening before.
Serve with Tortilla Chips!
An easy recipe! Low and slow cooking. Great recipe for leftovers or freezer cooking.
1- 3 to 6 pound Pork Loin, boneless
Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
Liquid Smoke ( Our favorite flavor is Natural Mesquite)
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Generously salt the fronts and back of the pork loin.
3. Pour on desired amount of liquid smoke on both sides. Using hands to “rub” it into the loin. ( I use between 1/4 of a bottle to half a bottle of liquid smoke.)
4. Wrap in foil. Making sure you seal it completely. Placed wrapped loin in roasting pan.
5. Cook in a 250 degree oven for 8 to 10 hours. I do this at night so it is ready to shred first thing in the morning. This is great for freezer meals!
Notes: Although, I prefer an oven for this recipe you can make it in a slow cooker. This is great recipe for bbq sandwiches!
Pizza Crescent Roll Ups
I found this idea on pinterest. After looking at the recipe, I added a couple of ingredients to make it more “pizzeria” style. These make a great after school snack. As well a great Bento Lunch box idea!
1-2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 can crescent rolls
Pepperoni Slices (you will need approx. 40)
4 cheese sticks (cut in half)
Sprinkling of Garlic Powder
1/8 cup butter, Melted
Pizza Sauce or Spaghetti Sauce.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray cookie sheet, pizza pan…with cooking spray and then sprinkle with a tablespoon or 2 of cornmeal. Coating the pan evenly with the cornmeal. (This was a bonus…it made it taste like something out of a pizzeria to me.
2. Unroll the crescent rolls. I found it easier to just work one and a time. Separate each crescent roll.
3. Place 4-6 slices of pepperoni at the widest end of each crescent roll.
4. Place half a slice of a cheese stick in the center and roll up. I try to close the ends of the roll ups as best as I can. You will have a small amount of “Cheesy Bubbling” coming through when fully baked.
5. Sprinkle each crescent roll with Garlic Powder.
6. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on them. Oven temps do very!
7. Once out of the oven brush each one with a little melted butter. Serve with warmed pizza sauce.
This bread would be so good served with Potato Soup!
8 Slices Thick Bacon, diced ( I used Smoked Applewood bacon)
1/3 Cup Milk
1 Cup of Sour Cream
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat skillet and fry up diced bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towels.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk and sour cream.
3. In another medium-sized bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
4. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Stir in the bacon.
5. Spray a loaf tin with cooking spray. And spread the bacon batter into the tin and smooth it out.
6. Bake in a 350 degree oven for approx. 50 minutes.
7. Let cool for 10 minutes and then remove.
Note: You can also add a cup of your favorite shredded cheese when stirring in the bacon.
Sweet & Tangy Meatballs (Slow Cooker, Freezer Meal)
So easy to through together in a ziploc bag and freeze! Even easier to make! If that is even possible! We like these meatballs served over rice. You can also put them on a hoagie or even use them as an appetizer at a party or potluck.
1 (32 oz) Package of meatballs (I actually use the Great Value Homestyle brand from Wal-Mart)
1 (36 oz) jar of bbq sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray’s)
1 (32 oz) jar of grape jelly
(You will also need 2 ziploc baggies for freezing)
1. Label baggies with contents and date! I also print directions right on the bag on how to cook.
2. In each bag put half of the meatballs, jelly and bbq sauce. I usually end up somewhere between 24 and 30 meatballs in each bag.
3. Once all ingredients are in the baggies. Zip them up and squish them together until good and combine.
5. When ready to make. I take out of freezer and let thaw for one hour.
6. Place in slow cooker. I use my 2 quart slow cooker. Cook on low for 2 to 3 hours. When ready place over rice and serve.
Cheesy Chicken Nachos
My 13-year-old daughter has been requesting nachos for sometime. She was thrilled to be having nachos for dinner as was everyone else.
2 cloves of garlic, minced
6 green onions, sliced
3 Tablespoons Canola Oil
Shredded chicken breast
2 tablespoons or 1 packet of taco seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste ( I did not use salt)
1 cup Salsa
1 bag of tortilla chips
2 cups shredded Cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese blend
1/2 large tomato, diced
small can of sliced black olives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line the cookie sheet as evenly as you can with the tortilla chips.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the garlic and the white parts of the green onions in canola, until the onions are tender. Mix in the shredded chicken.
- NOTE: I used my crock pot for my chicken I placed 2 chicken breast in the crock pot and covered with 2 tablespoons of taco season and set on low and let cook for 5 to 6 hours on low. It shredded easily. You can use any kind of shredded chicken that you would like. I think a shredded Rotisserie chicken would be good too.
Toss the chicken with the green onions and stir in Salsa.
- Put the tortilla chips in the oven for 5 minutes just to ‘warm’.
- When done warming spoon chicken mixture as evenly as you can over the tortilla chips. Top with shredded cheese, diced tomato, and olives.
- Return to the oven to bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Remove from heat and sprinkle with green onion tops before serving.
You can make this with just about anything…and top with just about anything. I also think it would be good with refried beans.
Cheesy Chili Dip
This will quickly become a family favorite!
1 pkg. (8 oz) Cream Cheese, Softened
1/2 cup of your favorite Chunky Salsa
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Divided (I am absolutely SURE I used more! )
1 can Chili Beans, drained
3 Tablespoons Sliced Green Onions
3 Tablespoons pitted sliced black olives (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine softened Cream Cheese and salsa and spread in the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate.
3. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese (or your desired amount)
4. Spread Chili beans over shredded cheese. And then top with another layer of shredded cheese.
5. Sprinkle green onions and olives (optional) over top.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and dip is heated through.
Sweet & Spicy Sammie
So easy and surprisingly good!
Louisiana Hot Sauce
Red Pepper Jelly (optional)
Cream Cheese, softened (You can use whipped or block cream cheese, just make sure it is a room temp).
Pepper Jack Cheese Slices
Ham, Chicken, Turkey (Use one, mix and match them, it is up to you)
Pineapple Slices (optional)
1. Gently beat 2 eggs in a bowl and add a couple of dashes of Louisiana Hot Sauce. Remember a little goes a LONG way! Stir until mixed.
2. Start building your sandwich. On one slice spread cream cheese. On the other spread the jelly (optional). Add the Pepper Jack cheese on the side with the jelly.
3. Next add the ham (or turkey, chicken…) and then top with a slice of pineapple!
4. Preheat your grill, flat skillet on medium heat.
5. Dip your Sandwich in your egg mixture, coating both sides with the mixture.
6. Place your sandwich on the skillet on each side until both sides are lightly browned.
Notes: You do not have to use pineapple or Red pepper Jelly. You can omit both. Or just omit one. I like it without the jelly. My husband prefers it WITH the jelly. My daughter doesn’t care for the pineapple. Also if there is too much heat….you can omit the Louisiana Hot Sauce from the egg mixture as well. I do want to try this with grape jelly…just haven’t got around to it yet.
This is so great to use those leftovers. That Easter Ham….even great around Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Copycat Big Mac Sauce
This was a request by my daughter. Big Mac’s are usually her pick when eating at McDonald’s. She was reminded me of my recipe book that I created in ’02 and said that the recipe was in it. It really tastes a lot like the Special Big Mac Sauce!
1/2 cup Miracle Whip
2 tablespoons french dressing
4 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
1 Tablespoon FINELY minced white onion
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
2. Store in a covered container (I use an empty Mayo jar) and refrigerate for several hours. I recommend refrigerating it overnight. Stirring the sauce a few times as it chills.
It taste great with just a few hours of chill time. It taste awesome chilled overnight. It does taste really close to the real stuff!