You are currently browsing the monthly archive for April 2012.
Cinnamon Roll Waffles
A few weeks ago one of my husbands co-workers told him about this recipe that she had found on Pinterest. I had remembered seeing it around. Last night while I was thinking of what in the world to make special for my kids breakfast this morning (they are going through our states testing this week) and I remembered this recipe. And it is SO easy….A caveman could do it!
1. Heat up your waffle maker.
2. Spray waffle maker with cooking spray.
3. Place one cinnamon roll into each quarter section.
4. Squish the top down.
5. Wait for about 1 and a half minutes. Up to 2 minutes.
6. Remove from waffle maker and drizzle with icing that came with the cinnamon rolls.
Sprinkling these with Powdered Sugar would be a nice touch as well.
Recipe adapted from A Hen’s Nest.
Parmesan Chicken With Bow Tie Pasta
1 box (12 oz.) Bow-Tie Pasta
Salt and Pepper to Taste
2 cups Broccoli Florets
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, cooked and diced
1 small onion, finely diced
2 gloves of garlic
1 (14.5 oz can) Petite Diced Tomatoes, Drained
1/2 to 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1. Cook Pasta in boiling Salted water according to package direction. Until al dente. Add broccoli the last 3 minutes of cooking time. Drain, reserving at 1 cup of cooking liquid (you might decide to leave this out all together).
2. Toss Pasta and Broccoli with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.
3. Warm remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, onion, and garlic. At this point you can also season with Salt and Pepper. I stay away from adding Salt to anything. Saute, this for approx. 5 minutes.
4. After 5 minutes add in the Diced Tomatoes; and saute for another 2 minutes.
5. Mix in the pasta mixture. Add Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. I used about 3/4 of a cup cooking liquid.
6. Since we LOVE cheese in our house….once everything was heated evenly throughout I topped with MORE Parmesan Cheese.
Tips: You will need a LARGE skillet for this. It makes a lot. Make sure the chicken you use is cooked! I have several chicken breast made ahead of time and just diced them up.
Baked Chocolate Donuts with Chocolate Glaze
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa)
1 cup Sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 Cup Milk
8 Tablespoons Canola oil (Or just shy of 1/2 cup)
For The Glaze: (This recipe is from Allrecipes.com)
1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (Next Time I am going to use Milk Chocolate Chips)
4 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons of Light Corn Syrup
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a LARGE bowl combine flour, cocoa powered, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. Once the dry ingredients are combine add in the eggs, milk and vanilla. Stirring until just combine.
4. Stir in the Canola Oil.
5.Generously coat a donut pan with cooking spray.
6. Fill each donut ring two-thirds of the way full. Bake for 7 minutes in a 450 degree oven or until donut springs back to the touch. Remember ovens temps vary…so will cooking time. I keep an oven thermometer in my oven at all times to help me out.
7. When done immediately remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool.
For the Chocolate Glaze:
8. In the microwave melt chocolate chips and butter. I melt my for 30 seconds at half power at a time. Stirring between each time.
9. After chocolate chips and butter are melted I add in light corn syrup, and vanilla.
10. After donuts have cooled. Swirl each donut into the glaze. This goes Really fast. The motion to it is all in the wrist! Add sprinkles if desired.
I feed a family of 6. Two of them are teenagers, 3 of them are boys and one is my husband and through a daughter in the mix. This made JUST enough and some to snack on through the day. Although my family would prefer more. It made 22 donuts.
2 cups Flour
1 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Cup Canola Oil
3/4 cup Butter Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Vinegar
1 cup Finely Chopped Strawberries (you can use a little more or a little less)
For the Strawberry Glaze:
2 HEAPING cups of Powdered Sugar
1 cup Finely Chopped Strawberries
1 teaspoon milk or water (You don’t have to even use milk or water. Use it depending on how thick of a consistency you desire.)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a small bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda and Kosher Salt.
3. In a large bowl mix together oil, buttermilk, vanilla and eggs.
4. Add dry ingredients to oil mixture. Do Not Over Stir. Stir until just combined.
5. Add Vinegar and mix until combine.
6. Fold in Strawberries.
7. Fill a lightly greased donut pan. Fill molds three-quarters of the full and bake until golden brown. Between 10 and 12 minutes. Mine took exactly 10 minutes.
Directions For Strawberry Glaze:
8. Mix together strawberries and powdered Sugar add milk or water if need for consistency.
9. Remove donuts from donut pan. And cool on wire rack. Top with Strawberry Glaze. Let the Glaze sit for a least 5 minutes before serving.
Notes: I used a chopper to dice up my strawberries. If you use a chopper or food processor make sure you don’t over chop or it will turn into puree.
This recipe is linked to the following:
Dreamy Jello “Fluff” Dessert
You can do SO much with this dessert. You can add fruit, nuts, candies….etc. It is up to you!
1 box (6 0z.) Jell-O Gelatin (your desired flavor)
2 (8 0z) containers of Cool Whip (Thawed)
1. Dissolve Gelatin mix in 1 1/2 cups boiling water.
2. Add ice to 1 cup cold water. To make 2 1/2 cups.
3. Stir ice water into gelatin. And stir until thickened.
4. Remove any un-melted ice and stir in the cool whip.
If you wanted to add fruits or candies this is where you would add them in.
5. Pour into cups, ramekins, bowls, glasses….the choice is up to you.
6. Let sit OVERNIGHT in fridge.
Note: You could even make this using your favorite Jell-O and pour into a Graham Cracker Crust. You can use 2 (3 oz boxes) or you can cut it in half. Using only 1-3 oz. box of Jell-O Gelatin and 1 container of cool whip.
If you cut it in half here is what you do….
Dissolve gelatin in 3/4 cup boiling water. Add ice to 1/2 cup cold water to make 1 1/4 cup. Keep stirring until slightly thickened. Remove any un-melted ice . Fold in Cool whip.
Shredded Slow Cooker Chicken Salsa
So Simple just throw it all in and forget for about 5 hours!
3-4 Boneless Skinless chicken Breast
1 cup your favorite Salsa (preferably jarred salsa)
2 teaspoons Taco Seasoning (or 1 pkg. Taco Seasoning)
1 can (10.5 oz.) Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 can (15.25 oz.) corn
1/2 cup sour cream
1. Place chicken breast in bottom of crock pot. Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken. Add in Salsa, Cream Of Chicken Soup, Diced Red Bell Pepper, and Corn. I do not stir. I just leave it sitting as is in the pot.
2. Leave it for 4 to 6 hours. Mine was done in about 5.
3. Shred Chicken, return to slow cooker (I just shred it in the crock pot).
4. Add Sour Cream and stir until combine!
5. And your done! Serve in Flour Tortilla’s to make burritos. Or over brown rice!
Next time I make this I am going to try adding Chipotle Corn for added flavor and spice.
Fun to make & Eat!
What you need:
Ziploc Baggies (one for each egg you are coloring)
Eggs (you choose how many)
Liquid Food Coloring
Water (for boiling eggs)
1. Add eggs to cold water and bring to boil. Boil for approx. 6 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. After eggs have slightly cooled, gently tap on a hard surface until cracks appear all over the egg.
4. Put a Tablespoon of food coloring in Ziploc baggies. Then add egg.
5. Roll the eggs around the bag to make sure that they are coated.
6. Repeat with all eggs.
7. Let set for approx. 30 minutes. To let the eggs absorb the food coloring.
8. After set, remove eggs from bag and rinse off with cold water. To remove excess food coloring.
9. Pour white vinegar over eggs (lightly splashing each egg) to set color.
10. Peel the egg and enjoy your surprise design!